Tuesday 13 August 2013

Where I'm At and Where I'm Heading

Summer's almost over. In just over two weeks, I leave to return to university. That means I may be a little neglectful of this blog, though I promise to try as hard as I can to keep at least weekly posts going.

So what have I been up to?

Lots of things!

1) Sent first submission to Anne Elisabeth Stengl's Cinderella Writing Contest.

Until Midnight 



When Elle's father dies, she is left with nothing, forced into servitude by her stepmother in order to pay off his debt. She dares not hope for a happy ending. But she finds an unexpected friend and ally in Eloise, her eldest stepsister. Eloise wants nothing more than to wed the man she loves, but her mother forbids her from marrying a mere coachman.

But a royal ball is approaching, a night when the dreams of ugly stepsisters and sweethearted servants can come true. And Eloise is determined that dreams will come true--even if she has to help them along.

This was actually the second idea I had for this contest. When I sent it to my proofreaders, both found it to be more sound than the first idea I had. So I finished it up this week and sent it in.

2) Super-Fun Fanfiction Project

Along with Hannah, I've been working on a project for Anne Elisabeth Stengl. Will let you know when it goes live. Can't wait to share it with all of you!

3) Mentoring with Anne Elisabeth. 

It's been so interesting to go over sections of Ice Roses and realize what will or will not work. Anne Elisabeth challenges me to look at my story from a different perspective. It's even gotten to the point where a lot of what I didn't like from the first draft may actually end up in the second draft. Right now Ice Roses is a bit of a hot mess as I try to figure out exactly where I want this story to go, but I appreciate the opportunity to look at this novel from a different angle and fall in love with it all over again.

4) Agonizing over my first and favourite idea for the Cinderella writing contest. It combines the story of Cinderella with the events of Moses and the Burning Bush. Throw in lots of political intrigue, beautiful dresses, and a dash of romance, and this story has a deep place in my heart. It just needs a lot of work, and with the deadline at the end of December and a full semester of university coming up.... Yeah, it's going to be a struggle.

The Voice in the Laurel Tree



After her father's execution as a traitor to their country, Katrine is sold into slavery. She loses everything: the man she loves, her name, and her freedom. But not everything is set in stone--her father might have been innocent. To prove his innocence, Katrine will do anything--even flirt with death. But when a different Voice calls her, one leading to life, will she listen?

Prince Thomin failed Katrine the day she was sold into slavery. Since then, he has wallowed in his own misery. When the ball his father holds brings Katrine back into his life, he's given another chance to prove himself. But the secrets Katrine uncovers threaten those closest to Thomin. Is he willing to risk his reputation--and his life--to protect the girl he failed?

Suffice to say, I am VERY excited about this story. But there's a lot to stuff into a 20,000-word novella. I would appreciate your prayers as I head into a very hectic time of packing, reading, and writing.

So what projects are you working on, dear readers? For those of you working on submissions for this contest, any specific struggles you've run into, and how did you--or will you--overcome them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting! I ask only a few things: please do not post anything that disparages others or is offensive. No swearing or taking the Lord's name in vain, especially. Thank you, and be blessed!